A beautifully carved late medieval standing cross, it was moved to Campbeltown in the 1600s.
One of the most beautiful late medieval crosses in Scotland, it stands at the Old Quay Head in the middle of town. Carved in about 1380, the cross was commissioned by parson Sir Andrew MacEachen in memory of himself and his father Sir Ivor MacEachen. It is likely that the cross originally stood in the graveyard of the nearby church of Kilkivan.In the early 1600s, during the Reformation, the cross was removed to Campbeltown and erected as the new burgh's mercat cross or market cross. Sadly at this time the crucifixion and other figures on its east side were destroyed.
Contact and Information