A magnificent cross dating from about 1350, it stands in a churchyard overlooking Machir Bay.
This superb cross stands in the grave yard of the now roofless Kilchoman Old Parish Church, built in 1827 on the site of a medieval church. The cross features the crucifixion and was carved in the 1300s or 1400s. It is inscribed with the dedication: This is the cross by Thomas, son of Patrick, doctor, for the souls of his father and mother and wife, and of all the faithful departed. Thomas and Patrick probably belonged to the famous Beaton family of physicians.
Contact and Information