Ruined castle, dating back to 1472, situated on the shores of Loch Carron, commanding fine views westwards to Skye.
The ruined castle is romantically situated on a rocky promontory jutting into Loch Carron, commanding fine views westwards to Skye. First recorded in 1472 when it was a stronghold of the Lords of the Isles, it later belonged to the MacDonnells of Glengarry. Following a quarrel with Kenneth MacKenzie, Lord of Kintail, it fell in 1602 after a long siege and was blown up. All that remains of the tower is a heap of rubble but substantial sections of the walls of the adjacent hall still stand.
Contact and Information
All year daily.